Top tips for spotting a genuine charity collection:
- Does the sack or leaflet say the collection is for a registered charity? If so, what’s the registered charity number – call 0845 3000 218 or visit the online register of charities at www.gov.uk/government/organisations/charity-commission to check that it’s genuine.
- Do they only give a registered company number? This just means that the organisation is registered with Companies House.
- Is the charity actually named? Be wary of wording that just says ‘families in need’ or ‘sick kids at Christmas’
- Does the leaflet or bag give a phone number? The absence of a phone number may mean the collectors don’t want to answer questions.
- If residents have any information about vehicles being used including make and registration numbers, details should be sent to [email protected]